With bikini, summer dresses and short shorts season upon us, it's time to match our sun-kissed complexion with the latest trends in the make-up world. Summer beauty 2016 is all about being bold with rich colours; go big or go home am I right? I feel like the trends this season have been massively influenced by past eras; the 80's and 90's, and things we may have been afraid of wearing a year ago are now totally acceptable. Think metallic eyes and bright lips. This sunny season don't be afraid to play with colour and step out of your comfort zone. It's easy and fun!
A single sweep of shimmering eyeshadow for summer is the way to go on the lids. Apart from rocking these shades during the night, don't be afraid to play with metallic shades during the day too. Anything bronze, coppery or even full-on gold works well for this trend, and I bet you already have a few shades to try this out. The ones in my stash (from L to R):
1. Kiko Colour Sphere in shade 05 Spicy Chocolate Special FX (£5.90), a baked silk effect eyeshadow, brilliant and easy to blend, not to mention a gorgeous pigmented shade.
2. NYX Primastic Eyeshadows in shades PS09 Fireball and PS02 Punk Heart (£5), both of which are incredibly pigmented and yield a beautiful metallic finish. If you haven't been to Boots to check out their Nyx stands, go now and pick up a few of these. They are amazing!
3. Barry M Dazzle Dust Eyeshadow in shade 76 Yellow (£4.59) which is a little harder to work with given it's a loose pigment, but the shades available in this range more than make up for it. Yellow is wildly bright and ideal for those night events this summer when you want an all-round gold look.
We tend to get naturally flushed during summer due to the heat, but don't skip blush if you've done a full face of make-up and are already wearing bronzer, trust me it will complete the look. And as the days at the beach go by, the darker you are, the brighter the blush shade you can wear! My personal favourites are (from L to R):
1. Collection Gorgeous Glow Blush Block (£4.19) which I reviewed in depth here and is ideal for my pale complexion prior to tanning.
2. MAC Mineralize Blush in shade Gentle (£22), the one to use after tanning. Its mineral formula is so refined that it provides a sheer and lightweight coverage. Colour can be built up, but it does so lightly without looking too heavy. Whenever I wanted a pop of colour to my cheekbones, this is the blush I sweep across my cheekbones for that healthy and natural glow.
I've recently talked about my favourite pink shades for spring here and I'm happy to see these shades sticking around and proving to be rather popular for summer too. Oranges or fuchsia pinks look beautiful with a tan, not to mention orange shades are massively trendy at the minute and suit almost every skin tone. My picks (from L to R):
1. Mary Kay True Dimensions Lipstick in shade Sassy Fuchsia (£14), a beautiful vivid pink with purple undertones. You only need a few swipes to get fabulous fuchsia lips! The texture is heavenly and extremely moisturising; everything I want in lipstick for summer.
2. MAC Lipstick in shade Flat Out Fabulous (£15.50), a brightened, medium-dark magenta pink with a matte finish. The one I like wearing for evening outings.
3. Maybelline Vivid Matte Lipstick in shade Orange Shot (£6.99), a bright bold orange that feels incredibly comfortable and smooth on the lips. See my recent review of this range here.
What do you guys think of these trends? Will you be trying any of them? Let me know below!
Thanks for reading beauties and wishing us all a nice week ahead!